Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Blindfolded rhythm changes (ii)

Today was the first day. I didn't use a blindfold, timer, or metronome yet, but that will come. I made some progress and for the first time in my life felt that I was playing bop-like phrases. I learned most of "Anthropology" and just stole some phrases from that when improvising. The idea is to do this 365 times. It might take slightly longer than a year, but that's ok. I'm going to count this as day two, since I played some rhythm changes the other day in the dark just to see if I could.

***

When I got back from Chicago from hearing Julia play in the "Homenaje a Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca," I found that I was a better piano player, even having not played for a few days in a row. I suddenly was better at reading music, learning, and playing with confidence. Yes, it is possible to improve on the piano as a relatively old guy (57).

No comments: