Featured Post

I love theory

I mean music theory, here. It is funny that what goes by the name music theory would be, in literature, the equivalent of prosody and plot c...

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Confident Authority

"The author projects a voice of confident authority."

That was my favorite line from my reader's reports, especially since it was from the reader who had more substantive suggestions / things sh/e found that needed to be addressed. Reading that phrase I realized that I do try to sound like that.

3 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

I bet part of that air of "confident authority" is a result of not using "I would like to suggest that ..." – and more generally just writing clearly and directly, without signposting and hedging.

Jonathan said...

Yes. That and knowing my shit.

Andrew Shields said...

One of the reasons I find such signposting and hedging so irritating is that it often makes it seem like people don't know their shit.