Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Whitman

I guess I'm going to have to develop these arguments about "Ode to Walt Whitman." The idea that it is not homophobic because Lorca only condemns feminine, or corrupt, or etc... gays, seems easy to refute. As though putting some extra misogyny into your homophobia makes it all ok?
The question here is: how to define the term los maricas? If we define it as 1: being an epithet and 2: meaning “homosexuals” in a broad sense, then the homophobic argument logically follows. If we define it as 1:being an epithet and 2: referring to a subset of homosexuals (in this case probably effeminate homosexual men) then the homophobic argument weakens considerably and the whole thing takes on the tone of in-fighting.

No comments: