Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, February 14, 2014

Meta

At a certain point I decided I didn't want to figure out what Lorca's poems meant. In other words, the hermeneutic process of figuring out what things symbolized. Instead, I practice a meta-hermeneutics, and focus more on his prose writing, mostly his lectures. I think I can interpret with the best of them, but I just don't care enough about whether my interpretation is best. That seems like a very undergraduate game to play. Luckily for me, almost every other Lorca critic does that, so I don't have to.

2 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

The main point makes sense to me, but I don't see the connection between that and the shift of focus from poetry to prose. Is Lorca's prose clearer? The enigma of the duende suggests not always.

Jonathan said...

I could explain it like this. Interpretation of the essays is difficult too, but it is more a matter of relating and situating them to other discourses of poetics than of verbal analysis and explication, of "what does this image mean / symbolize?"" It is inherently metainterpretative in a way that looking at the poetry is not.