Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Chess & Computers

I'd like to see a computer that could design a human good enough to beat it at chess.

So I remarked in a comment. Mark Liberman kindly responded: "Excellent premise for a story. There could be a prize involved: the Mayhew Prize."

In other words, the whole premise of "computers are getting better than humans" at something is flawed. Of course you can make a computer better than a human at almost any given task.

1 comment:

Andrew Shields said...

I like Mark L's update about the talk given by trombonist George Lewis. Do you have any of his recordings? There's a fantastic CD by John Zorn, Bill Frisell, and Lewis called "News for Lulu": tunes by Kenny Dorham, Sonny Clark, Hank Mobley, and Freddie Redd.