Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Reception, contact, translation

There should be one overarching theory of cultural interchange, that includes within it all studies of reception, contact, translation, adaptation, influence, etc... I thought those reception theory studies were dumb, like "Balzac in Russia." Who wants to read that? Then I did one myself. I still think it's boring when most people do it, frankly, just like most studies of influence are dull.

2 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

This is related to the fiction of the "national literature": writers themselves respond to what they read from all different directions, and not just what's written by their countrymen or those who write in the same language.

Vance Maverick said...

So who could be in a position to write such a study? George Steiner (or his grad students ;-))?