Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Write in the Morning, Research in the Afternoon, Plan in the Evening

I often plan in the evening. For example, I might make a list of things to do the next day, or rewrite my plan of action for finishing a project. These planning sessions do not produce any actual writing, but I find they are tremendously productive.

I like writing and rewriting my plan of when I will write what chapters. It keeps me on track and motivated, and allows me to see my weekly, monthly, and yearly goals with great clarity. If you have a very mild form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, as I do, it can be very reassuring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the same schedule except --

I use the evenings not for planning (I'm organized by nature and not OCD) but for fooling around, unstructured reading and snooping so to speak, reading research off topic, so that I can come upon surprises.

I do like the planning and lists, though, I just somehow do them during writing or during research.

This all is, of course, when I'm actually functioning -- it's not how I run every day now, it's just what actually works and what I'm trying to get back to. It's interesting to find someone else does things so similarly.