Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's Not About the Housework

The purpose of the experiment about how many household chores I could get done was not really about the housework. I wanted to see how much an hour of doing things like that amounted to. I know what an hour of reading is, 40-100 pages depending on what kind of reading it is. I know how many graduate papers I can read and comment in an hour (2-3). I didn't know how many things I could do around the house before the timer rang.

It's also about uni-tasking, the idea of just concentrating for one thing for an hour without doing anything else, with no distractions. Many significant things fit into one-hour segments. Excercise for an hour, that's plenty for a day. Spend an hour talking on the phone with someone--that's a significant conversation. It takes an hour to cook dinner if you are making something not too basic. You have 16-18 hours when you are not sleeping, so it ought to be possible to get a lot even in 4 or 5 of those hours, between exercise, work, etc...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Yes, I know, and it's a very good exercise! :-)