Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Writer's Group

Anyone interested in a virtual writer's group? Every Monday evening, we will meet on line and talk about what each of us wants to do the following week and what we accomplished the previous week. If we didn't get done what we wanted to, why not? What was the obstacle? Was the obstacle preventable, correctable, will it be there next week? Is it a self-imposed obstacle or an external one?

There should be no guilt or bad feelings about not having gotten something done. For me, last week, for example, I can say that I didn't get written what I wanted. The obstacles were partly logistical and partly emotional. One problem was that I didn't define very clearly what I wanted to get done. I don't feel particularly bad that I didn't write as much. Rather, the information I have about why I didn't will help me for the next week.

14 comments:

Clarissa said...

Can junior faculty members (like me) apply?

Jonathan said...

It's for anyone, grad students, professors, anyone who wants to write something even if they are not academics.

Clarissa said...

I'd love to participate.

Jonathan said...

Great. I'm glad you're interested. I'll need at least three people aside from myself, I think, but no more than six or seven.

Clarissa said...

Should I place this announcement on my blog, too?

Jonathan said...

Let's wait a few days and see. Your blog is monumentally popular and I don't want to be deluged.

Clarissa said...

Oh, thank you for "monumentally popular." :-)

I surely know how to anger people. :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get pieces of my dissertation finished while teaching classes in this 3rd quarter (April-June) and then the 1st summer session (June & July). I'd definitely be interested in some friendly peer pressure and collegial task accountability!

Jonathan said...

You're in McConeghy. Now I need one or two more people.

Jon said...

I'm up for this.

Bronwen said...

I'm be interested.

Jonathan said...

Great. I think I have five including myself, so we will start Monday. Look for a post here on Monday with very precise instructions.

fjb said...

If there is room for one more, I'm very interested. (This is Franklin Bruno; I've commented at Bemsha off and on over the years. I'm doing some scholarly writing and some journalistic criticism.)

Jonathan said...

Certainly, Franklin. We will start tomorrow. Look out for the post.