Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Misery Sweepstakes

If you want to complain about how overworked or busy you are, that's fine. You can win the misery sweepstakes. But then what is it you are really winning? You need to be putting in a lot of hours in a competitive profession, but the way you win is by publishing more, not being more miserable.

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

I think I'll print this out and post it on my office door.

undine said...

Very true! I second Clarissa's comment.

Michael J. Altman said...

Forget the office. I'm putting this in the graduate student lounge for my fellow grad students to see.

Tanya Golash-Boza said...

Thanks for putting a dent in the myth that academics have to be miserable in order to be productive!

I'd put this on my office door, but I think some ppl might be offended...