Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Let-Down

After something gets accepted or I finish a major article or chapter, I feel... the let- down. The world doesn't shower you with praise. You don't walk on air. It's just another day at the office. I wish I could be more celebratory and avoid the inevitable anti-climax.

It's like on The Rockford files. The case is closed at the end of the episode, things brought to a resolution. But the next episode begins with a reversion to the mean. Other gangsters want Jim dead; the police are equally suspicious of him, even though every case he's been on has resulted in a huge arrest of some major mafia figures. You'd think they'd run out of mobsters after a while, but no. Rockford is equally unable to resist involvement in situations that will bring him grief. He still hasn't learned not to open the door of his trailer to men with guns, or not to trust pretty women with implausible stories.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Yes, but there is also the pick-me-up (or just pick up?). Tonight, for example, I'm in Barcelona at the invitation of someone who read one of my papers. But it's true about those pretty women with impossible stories, of course.

Jonathan said...

I wish I was in Barcelona.

Thomas said...

Just write another brilliant paper, Jonathan!

Jonathan said...

I just did, that's why I need to rest and recuperate in the Condal City.